Re: debug a mess

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>
Cc: Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: debug a mess
Date: 2003-02-25 21:27:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com> writes:
> The entire code from PQconnect until PQfinish goes like this:

That sure looks harmless. I wonder if there is something failing in the
PQconnect() step (like the queries that libpq sends on its own)?

I'd suggest enabling query logging --- see postgresql.conf, or just do
export PGOPTIONS="--log_statement=1"
before starting your program. (Check Admin Guide first, as this
parameter got renamed recently.) Then look in the postmaster log to get
a better idea of what's really going on.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that PQclear, and most other libpq functions,
behave sanely when handed a null pointer. So the test in
> if (res)
> PQclear(res);
is unnecessary.