Re: BUG #2236: extremely slow to get unescaped bytea data

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kalador Tech Support <support(at)kalador(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2236: extremely slow to get unescaped bytea data
Date: 2006-02-09 15:24:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Kalador Tech Support <support(at)kalador(dot)com> writes:
> When run from a browser, accessing an Apache webserver, the results
> displayed were:

> fetch time = 3.632ms, 296043 bytes
> unescape time = 70625.518ms, 296043 bytes

Is it possible that you are relying on an old (like 7.3) libpq?
I find this in the CVS logs:

* src/interfaces/libpq/fe-exec.c: I found the libpq function
PGunescapeBytea a little slow. It was taking a minute and a half to
decode a 500Kb on a fairly fast machine. I think the culprit is
sscanf.
The new function is significantly faster on my machine with the
JPEGs being decoded in less than a second. I attach a modified
libpq example program that I used for my testing.

Ben Lamb.