Re: WIP: cross column correlation ...

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: WIP: cross column correlation ...
Date: 2011-02-28 18:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of sáb feb 26 02:24:26 -0300 2011:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> > Excerpts from Rod Taylor's message of vie feb 25 14:03:58 -0300 2011:
> >
> >> How practical would it be for analyze to keep a record of response times for
> >> given sections of a table as it randomly accesses them and generate some
> >> kind of a map for expected response times for the pieces of data it is
> >> analysing?
> >
> > I think what you want is random_page_cost that can be tailored per
> > tablespace.
>
> We have that.

Oh, right.

> But it's not the same as tracking *sections of a table*.

I dunno. I imagine if you have a "section" of a table in different
storage than other sections, you created a tablespace and moved the
partition holding that section there. Otherwise, how do you prevent the
tuples from moving to other "sections"? (We don't really have a concept
of "sections" of a table.)