Re: Strange \copy failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Woodcock <swoodcock(at)scholastic(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange \copy failure
Date: 2001-06-21 14:02:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Steve Woodcock <swoodcock(at)scholastic(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> (gdb) bt
> #0 0x4025fc62 in __libc_send () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #1 0x80c7ea2 in pq_flush ()
> #2 0x8139092 in elog ()
> #3 0x80a849c in DoCopy ()
> #4 0x80a7fba in DoCopy ()
> #5 0x80a751f in DoCopy ()
> #6 0x80fe500 in ProcessUtility ()

Hmm, it would seem the backend is trying to send an elog message to
psql, and psql isn't taking it. I bet all those "line too long"
messages caught up with you. I'm not sure that libpq is designed
to absorb NOTICE messages that come in during a COPY operation;
probably, if you get so many as to fill the kernel-level buffers for
the socket, you have a problem.

Anyone want to try to fix that?