Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Nick Rudnick <joerg(dot)rudnick(at)t-online(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-general 2011-1-21:] Are there any projects interested in object functionality? (+ rule bases)
Date: 2011-02-08 19:26:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On lör, 2011-02-05 at 12:26 +0100, Nick Rudnick wrote:
> o extensions of PostgreSQL to support such a kind of usage have to
> be expected to be expected to be rejected from integration to the code
> base core -- i.e., if they are done, students have to be told «you
> can't expect this to become a part of PostgreSQL»

There are very varied interests in this community. But you have to keep
in mind that PostgreSQL is a production software package, not a research
platform. This doesn't mean that we discourage research with the
PostgreSQL code base. But that should be done in a fork. Code aimed
for inclusion in a proper PostgreSQL release should have demonstrable
real life use and should be developed according to certain standards and
in close corporation with the community. If a research project can deal
with that, great, but typically, research projects are there to
determine whether something could have real-life value in the first
place, and development follows different standards of quality.