Re: SSI, simplified

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu
Subject: Re: SSI, simplified
Date: 2011-01-26 11:06:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 09:29 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 24.01.2011 03:48, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> > If I get a solid answer on the SSI/HS issue before I post V14, I
> > might be able to cover that, too, in that patch. I haven't wanted to
> > totally write off the possibility of integrating them as long as
> > discussion was ongoing; but if someone wants to assume the voice of
> > Dr. McCoy and declare "It's dead, Jim," I can move on for now and
> > come back to the issue for 9.2.
>
> It's dead, Jim.

Agreed, for 9.1

> Even if it wasn't, it'd still make sense to leave it out of the first
> commit, and add as later patch. So in any case, the first commit should
> just throw an error.

Not sure how to handle that. My understanding is that we are replacing
the old Serializable mode with the new Serializable mode. The old way
works, but the new way doesn't. I don't think we should throw an error;
we just need to document that it works the old way on HS and the new way
everywhere else. Maybe that's inconsistent, but throwing errors isn't
useful in places where there didn't used to be any.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/