Re: RESTRICT / CASCADE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RESTRICT / CASCADE
Date: 2002-09-09 19:24:18
Lists: pgsql-docs

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca> writes:
> This note is currently in the 'Dependency Tracking (2.8)' section:
> Note: According to the SQL standard, specifying either RESTRICT or
> CASCADE is required. No database system actually implements it that way,
> but the defaults might be different.

The note is perhaps not very well worded. No one actually requires you
to say RESTRICT or CASCADE, but there are some systems where the default
assumption is CASCADE. I think everyone here agrees that that's a
ridiculously dangerous default, so it's quite unlikely that PG's
behavior would ever vary from what it is now.

> If the defaults are different, perhaps the documentation should show
> it's examples using RESTRICT or CASCADE explicitly?

No, that's just pointless pedantry.