Re: Deadlocks caused by referential integrity checks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deadlocks caused by referential integrity checks
Date: 2004-08-24 22:47:58
Lists: pgsql-general

> At least some versions of postgres ensure that constraint triggers will be
> executed in alphabetical order.

Only within a single event, though, so I don't think fooling with the
trigger names will do anything to resolve the sorts of problems people
are dealing with.

The most promising quick-fix I've heard suggested is to mark all the FK
constraints as deferred until end of transaction. That would reduce the
time window in which the locks are held to a short interval and thus
make deadlocks less likely (not impossible, certainly, but less likely).