Re: why does plperl cache functions using just a bool for is_trigger

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Postgres - Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: why does plperl cache functions using just a bool for is_trigger
Date: 2010-11-04 19:43:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 11:07 -0600, Alex Hunsaker wrote:

> >> Are you sure that having each try/except use a subtransaction is the
> >> right way to do it ?
>
> I assumed the try was purely so you could 'catch' things. And did not
> mean run it in a subtransaction (without the try block it still runs
> in one).

So your plan was to have some savepoint before each execute ?

How would one rollback the latest transaction ?

Or is it something else you mean by "subtransaction" ?

> Personally, I was looking more at:

> Which to me says if SPI has an error we get a nice error object back,
> that also lets you do the normal exception catching dance (if thats
> what you are in to...) and translates IMO better to how plpgsql works
> ("exception when unique_violation").

I see. "exception when unique violation" in plpgsql does automatic
rollback to block start (matching BEGIN) so I assumed that your
try/except sample is designed to do something similar

> > Another objection
> >
> >> I'd like to make it more explicit and use
> >>
> >> with plpy.subtransaction():
> >> do your stuff
>
> Sounds more like a savepoint?

Yeah. SAVEPOINT command is how you start a "subtransaction" in plain
SQL.

--
-------
Hannu Krosing