Re: formula about the number of WAL files

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: formula about the number of WAL files
Date: 2010-10-15 13:48:57
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 19:44 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:

> As the result of the above, the maximum number of WAL files in
> pg_xlog is
>
> (2 + checkpoint_completion_target) * checkpoint_segments + 1
>
> or
>
> wal_keep_segments + checkpoint_segments + 1
>
> So the original description seems to be correct. Am I missing
> something?

After some thought, I agree.

> # My previous proposal is definitely wrong. Sorry for noise.

I'd say the definition of wal_keep_segments isn't good, which is what is
causing the problem here. Will sort that out another day.

I will update the current code with some comments, so this doesn't
happen again. Will do this on Tuesday now, no time left here.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com