Re: Postgres 9 Installation problems

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: r d <rd0002(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 9 Installation problems
Date: 2010-09-25 13:38:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 12:21 +0200, r d wrote:

> a) The postgresql service is not present anymore, so I must start it
> by hand like this: sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-9.0 start
> (and register the service by hand so that it does start with system
> startup).

As of PostgreSQL 9.0, parallel installation is enabled, I mean, you will
be able to install 9.1 along with 9.0 when it is released. So, init
script name changed to reflect PostgreSQL version.

> --> I expect the installer to install the system service into the list
> ofervices/daemons which are started at boot.

Nope. RPMs have never ever added PostgreSQL to startup sequence by
default.

> b) The binaries (pg_dump, pg_restore, psql ...) of the new version are
> now in their own directory (/usr/pgsql-9.0/bin etc).

Right, see above.

> The installer did not append a PATH entry to that new hierarchy or set
> the
> links to the binaries into /usr/bin.
> --> I expect a PATH entry to point to wherever the binaries are, or
> that
> there are links in /usr/bin

Well, we used alternatives method for that:

$ ls -l `which psql`
/usr/bin/psql -> /etc/alternatives/pgsql-psql
# ls -l /etc/alternatives/pgsql-psql
/etc/alternatives/pgsql-psql -> /usr/pgsql-9.0/bin/psql

However, we omitted that for some specific binaries like pg_ctl, which
is pretty intentional.

> c) pg_restore from PostgreSQL 9 apparently does not recognize
> compressed files generated by pg_dump from V 8.4.4
> pg_restore V9 either said that the file was invalid, or it would just
> hang.

You need to take dump using 9.0's pg_dump so that you will be able to
restore it...

> d) The new updated installation does not take over the settings
> (*.conf) from the previous one.
> Don't know if this is as designed so I decided to report it.

Right, RPMs don't do such interactive work.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org