Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Use a latch to make startup process wake up and replay

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Use a latch to make startup process wake up and replay
Date: 2010-09-15 17:30:09
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 12:45 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > I agree that asking people to stop work is not OK. However, I haven't
> > asked for development work to stop, only that commits into that area
> > stop until proper debate has taken place. Those might be minor commits,
> > but they might not. Had I made those commits, they would have been
> > called premature by others also.
>
> I do not believe that Heikki has done anything inappropriate. We've
> spent weeks discussing the latch facility and its various
> applications.

Sounds reasonable, but my comments were about this commit, not the one
that happened on Saturday. This patch was posted about 32 hours ago, and
the commit need not have taken place yet. If I had posted such a patch
and committed it knowing other work is happening in that area we both
know that you would have objected.

It's not actually a major issue, but at some point I have to ask for no
more commits, so Fujii and I can finish our patches, compare and
contrast, so the best ideas can get into Postgres.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com