Re: [GENERAL] Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Stefan Schwarzer" <stefan(dot)schwarzer(at)grid(dot)unep(dot)ch>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Date: 2008-01-18 21:12:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On 18/01/2008, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> I didn't follow how the user got into this mess, so I don't know whether the
>> suggestion "you need to initdb" is appropriate.

> I would think not, as you almost certainly must be doing a file level
> restore of the data directory to get into this state and therefore
> probably want to keep your data.

You could argue that that's true if there's an incompatible pg_control
file there at all; I'm not sure why wrong-endianness is different from
wrong-version or wrong-datetime-option or anything else.

IIRC the HINT to initdb was originally kind of pointed at developers
who'd just downloaded a new CVS update with a new catversion number.
It might not be so appropriate for the field. The worst case scenario
would be someone blindly following the hint and blowing away their old
data ...