Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-28 18:34:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is there any use in looking
> at wal_keep_segments as part of this test?

I would hope that pg_stop_backup() will have a conditional ERROR message
to say

ERROR backup inconsistent and cannot be used for SR
HINT increase wal_keep_segments or enable archiving for your base backup

I think it would also be useful to add a NOTICE to pg_start_backup()

NOTICE archiving is not enabled. If we reach exceed wal_keep_segments
WAL files then the backup will be invalidated. Expected time for this to
happen is X (using linear extrapolation of WAL creation rate since last
checkpoint)

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com