Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL
Date: 2010-03-25 19:48:06
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 12:26 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 10:11 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >
> >> PANIC seems like the appropriate solution for now.
> >
> > It definitely is not. Think some more.
>
> Well, what happens now in previous versions with pg_standby et al is
> that the standby starts up. That doesn't seem appropriate either.

Agreed. I said that also, immediately upthread.

Bottom line is I am against anyone being allowed to PANIC the server
just because their piece of it ain't working. The whole purpose of all
of this is High Availability and we don't get that if everybody keeps
stopping for a tea break every time things get tricky. Staying up when
problems occur is the only way to avoid a falling domino taking out the
whole farm.

> I'm worried that the administrator won't notice the error promptly
> because at a quick glance the server is up and running, while it's
> actually stuck at the error and falling indefinitely behind the master.
> Maybe if we make it a WARNING, that's enough to alleviate that. It's
> true that if the standby is actively being used for read-only queries,
> shutting it down to just get the administrators attention isn't good either.

That's what monitoring is for. Let's just make sure this state is
accessible, so people will notice.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com