Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-24 18:48:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 10:07 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > The behaviour to wait for pg_stop_backup() was added by user request.
> > The behaviour for shutdown to wait for pg_stop_backup() was also added
> > by user request.
>
> Your two statements above contradict each other.

No they don't.

> And, while it makes sense for smart shutdown to wait for
> pg_stop_backup(), it does not make sense for fast shutdown to wait.
>
> Aside from that, the main issue is not having shutdown wait for
> pg_stop_backup; it's pg_stop_backup never completing. An issue, I'll
> note, you're ignoring. If you're going to be this defensive whenever
> anyone reports a bug, it's going to be veeeeeeery slow going to
> troubleshoot HS.

I haven't ignored the issue. The behaviour you are complaining about was
put there following complaints that it didn't wait. You're ignoring the
point that there hasn't been any change in this release and so your
comments are unfounded in reality.

> To date, I, Robert Haas, Joe Conway, Josh Drake, and the members of
> LAPUG all find this highly problematic behavior. So consider it 6
> problem reports, not just one.

:-) I'm told that ignoring user groups is OK...

If you're going to address single issues rather than prioritise what is
important over what is not, you will get strange responses.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com