Re: Confusion over Python drivers

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, James William Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date: 2010-02-07 06:40:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 09:19 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> My son has brought to my attention that our current crop of Python
> client libraries is inadequate/confusing. I took a look myself, and
> asked on our IRC channel, and am now convinced this area needs
> attention.

I have written up a set of guidelines for driver development based on
what I learned working on ruby-pg:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Driver_development

Whether we take one of the existing projects and improve upon it, or
start a complete rewrite, I hope these guidelines will be a useful
destination.

Note that the ruby-pg driver doesn't 100% adhere to those standards
(encoding is the primary problem, and that will be fixed).

I would appreciate comments by anyone (Greg Sabino Mullane: I included
you in the CC because I thought you may have some input). Even if the
python driver doesn't go in that direction, it will help me improve
ruby-pg.

Regards,
Jeff Davis