Direct I/O

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Direct I/O
Date: 2010-01-26 22:12:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am running PostgreSQL 8.3.9 on Red Hat 4.4 with only 4GB of memory. I
would like to increase buffers but the problem is that I don't see much
free memory. There is quite a large consumption of FS buffers:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4148528 3924496 224032 0 11912
3792940
-/+ buffers/cache: 119644 4028884
Swap: 8385920 997620 7388300

Now, in the world of Oracle, I would direct Oracle RDBMS to use direct
I/O and avoid double buffering altogether. Is there something similar
for PostgreSQL? In other words, may I somehow instruct PostgreSQL to use
direct I/O and/or asynchronous I/O?

VMS
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA