Re: plpython3

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: James William Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpython3
Date: 2010-01-13 21:33:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 23:27 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The problem I'm having with this discussion is that every time someone
> asks what the supposed advantages of this new Python PL are, a feature
> list like the above is dumped, 75% of which is subjective and tends to
> use semi-buzzwords, such that then someone else who by his own admission
> isn't completely up to date on things says, sure, that sounds great.
> Who wouldn't like a "more natural Python environment", "native typing"
> and "efficiency", and maybe even "explicitness"? The current PL/Python
> also has, arguably, a more natural Python environment, native typing,
> efficiency, and explicitness. So there you go. Now what?

Peter, are you interested in the benefit of the project, or your own
ego? Take it easy and let's see if we can be productive here.

I was just stating that James's explanation was good and looking for
more information from a reviewer. Secondly nobody (at least I am not) is
suggesting we dump the current PL/Python, so your hard work is not going
to be lost.

The only thing I am currently looking for is an objective review of the
patch based on the benefits it provides. I can tell you that if the Pye
patch provides stack trace capability and the current PL does not. That
right there is enough for me to push a +1 for review and possible
inclusion.

If you feel what James is saying is actually trite and more buzzword
compliant I welcome the opportunity to see a comparative of the current
status of PL/Python versus the Pye patch from you. If nothing else it is
a learning opportunity for all involved.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.