Re: Advertising on the community blog

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advertising on the community blog
Date: 2009-12-18 18:39:34
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 19:12 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > I do not see the OmniTI (being coy about it is silly) posting by Theo as
> > anything other than what it is, a job posting that is PostgreSQL related
> > that talks about what the company is.
>

> That is one part of the question. The other one is to decide if you
> think it's a job post or advertising. It certainly *comes across* as
> advertising, but I don't think it was necessarily *intended* to be.

Well I think my thoughts are pretty clear but I don't see this as
advertising at all. I see it as a description of culture within a
company that is posting a job opportunity. It doesn't read like
advertising. It is all mindset and knowing Theo, he is sincere in his
representation.

I think it is true that the real question is, "do we allow job
postings?"

> I think it's pretty borderline, which is also pretty obvious from the
> very different opinions of the posters on this thread.

The trend for blogs is that it is becoming the central point of
communication for whoever is writing the blog. It is becoming
increasingly common to have "company" or "project" blogs as well, where
it is not singular but an aggregate of information.

In short, blogging is becoming the nature of press releases, news,
opinions etc... all in one. Exactly how many barriers are we going to
put up for our community (Theo is a member of our Community and OmniTI
is a sponsor) and sponsors to communicate?

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.