pgAdmin3 MySQL to PostgreSQL converter?

From: Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure(at)free(dot)fr>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin3 MySQL to PostgreSQL converter?
Date: 2009-12-08 07:04:34
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dear friends,

I tested MySQL conversion tools and none of them really works.

My test case was a Drupal MySQL database with 100 tables. A client is
using MySQL and Drupal displays a bunch of red messages saying the
database does not answer. This is not a server question. It is only that
MySQL stops responding when the number of queries rises, which happens
in a Drupal environment (a single page can send 200 queries). MySQL
database are indeed very limited to small projects. You can only use
MySQL when caching is on in Drupal. In a production environment, even
with caching, you cannot trust a MySQL database during a stress.

I had a look at the database and realized that the tables had duplicate
entries although it carries unique indexes. I discovered that it is very
common for unique entries in MySQL database to allow duplicates! Even
during import, you can disable uniqueness verification. So I decided to
migrate to PostgreSQL.

Migrating a MySQL to PostgreSQL is not so easy because you need to tune
by hand the resulting schema. PostgreSQL version of Drupal has custom
types. And no converter seems (to my knowledge) to allow tuning types.

It seems a reasonable approach to believe that pgAdmin3 would be a great
converted if it could connect to a MySQL database, map MySQL types to
PostgreSQL types and migrate database reading each entry.

So my question is: do you plan to add a MySQL converted in pgAdmin3.
This would be a great killer feature and probably requires much work ...

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel