Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 16:52:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > We are not a company. We don't have a deadline. Why can't we just
> > develop and say, "Yeah, this looks like it would make a substantive
> > release."?
>
> Well, then you might as well not have a schedule at all. The point of
> setting up a schedule is not to have a deadline that we must meet or
> die trying (and certainly not to ship whether it's ready or not, as
> a certain other OS database has been accused of doing). Rather, the
> point of this exercise is to give individual developers a framework
> to plan in. Without a target date it's tough to decide what is
> reasonable to work on for 8.5.

Right, I get that. That is why I mentioned the start discussing at the
end of the year. The idea being, we really don't know what's going to
hit. So we set a review date of work being done. Say December 1st. On
December 1st we look at what is in, what appears to be coming and "then"
determine a potential release date.

We already push and pull our release dates based are what in the queue,
we just do so informally. Why not just make it part of the process? That
way we are being up front and saying, "Yeah, we have no idea. We will
review in 6 months and that is when we decide our target."

Shrug...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> regards, tom lane

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997