Re: 8.4 open item: copy performance regression?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alan Li <ali(at)truviso(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 8.4 open item: copy performance regression?
Date: 2009-06-21 18:26:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> > There was some discussion of doing this in general for all inserts
> > inside the indexam. The btree indexam could buffer up any inserts done
> > within the transaction and keep them in an in-memory btree. Any
> > lookups done within the transaction first look up in the in-memory
> > tree then the disk. If the in-memory buffer fills up then we flush
> > them to the index.
>
> > The reason this is tempting is that we could then insert them all in a
> > single index-merge operation which would often be more efficient than
> > retail inserts.
>
> That's not gonna work for a unique index, which unfortunately is a
> pretty common case ...

I think it can. If we fail on a unique index we fail. We aren't
expecting that, else we wouldn't be using COPY. So I reckon its
acceptable to load a whole block of rows and then load a whole blocks's
worth of index entries. The worst thing that can happen is we insert a
few extra heap rows that get aborted, which is small in comparison to
the potential gains from buffering.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com