Re: Support for XLogRecPtr in expand_fmt_string?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Support for XLogRecPtr in expand_fmt_string?
Date: 2012-07-03 19:10:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tuesday, July 03, 2012 08:09:40 PM Tom Lane wrote:
>> If we really feel this is worth doing something about, we could invent a
>> formatting subroutine that converts XLogRecPtr to string (and then we
>> just use %s in the messages).

> I think that would make memory management annoying. Using a static buffer
> isn't going to work very well either because its valid to pass two recptr's to
> elog/ereport/....

Hm. I was assuming that we could probably get away with the
static-buffer trick, but if you think not ...

One possibility is to make call sites that need this pass local-variable
buffers to the formatting subroutine:

char xrp_buffer[XLOGRECPTR_BUF_LEN];
char xrp_buffer2[XLOGRECPTR_BUF_LEN];

ereport(....,
format_xlogrecptr(xrp_buffer, xlogval1),
format_xlogrecptr(xrp_buffer2, xlogval2));

but it may not be worth the trouble.