Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

From: Josh Williams <joshwilliams(at)ij(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...
Date: 2009-05-28 06:11:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-es-ayuda

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 01:01 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > On 5/26/09 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft
> >> Please help; for one thing, I think my wording is a bit stilted.
>
> I made a pass over the whole thing and tightened up the text some. The
> bit about the pieces committed for the pending 8.5 features didn't read
> right at all, I changed that to what I think you wanted to say there.
> You should check what I did to that section in particular to make sure it
> reflects how you want that to read.

Looking good so far! Threw in a couple more cents myself, and included
improved deadlock reporting as an administrative feature (at least it
seems important enough to me; I could be wrong.) :)

Are you sure about leaving the performance features out entirely?
Granted there might not be enough benchmark numbers for the general use
case, but the topic of performance seems conspicuously absent as it is
now.

Maybe mark some of the existing features - parallel restore, reduced
vacuum overhead - as performance-oriented in some way?

- Josh Williams