Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mikael Krantz <mk(at)zigamorph(dot)se>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date: 2009-05-15 14:59:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 10:17 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> This whole area is unfortunately way too fragile. We need some way of
> managing these facilities that hides a lot of these details and is
> therefore less likely to produce shot feet, IMNSHO. I get very nervous
> every time I have to touch it.

I think it is complex, though that is because we now support a huge
number of use cases and options, to the benefit of many users. In fact,
more than I would like, but this is a group project.

Not sure why you say it's fragile; there have been very few bugs
considering the wide user base and those that have occurred have had
fixes submitted for them quickly. Yes, we require you to actually read
the docs, rather than open up psql and play, but this is business
critical stuff.

Realistically, we have more developers on this part of the code now than
any other. That's one reason for all the debate.

No problem in receiving feedback, just want to be able to understand it
sufficiently well to be able to enhance it.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com