Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Mikael Krantz <mk(at)zigamorph(dot)se>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: BUG #4796: Recovery followed by backup creates unrecoverable WAL-file
Date: 2009-05-07 17:33:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 18:57 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I don't see any user error here.

Just observing that the error occurs because we rely on a file being
there when we haven't even documented that it needs to be there for it
to work. File deletion with %r from the archive would not have removed
that file at that point. We should have an explicit statement about
which files can be deleted from the archive and which should not be, but
in general it is dangerous to remove files that have not been explicitly
described as removable.

Playing with the order of events seems fragile and I would prefer a more
explicit solution. Recording the timeline history permanently with each
server would be a sensible and useful thing (IIRC DB2 does this).

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com