Re: Latest version of Hot Standby patch: unexpected error querying standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Latest version of Hot Standby patch: unexpected error querying standby
Date: 2009-01-04 09:11:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 21:03 +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> bench=# \d history
> Table "public.history"
> Column | Type | Modifiers
> --------+-----------------------------+-----------
> tid | integer |
> bid | integer |
> aid | integer |
> delta | integer |
> mtime | timestamp without time zone |
> filler | character(22) |
>
> bench=# select now(),count(*) from history;
> ERROR: could not open relation base/16384/16394: No such file or
> directory

>From my recreating your test case, the oids are consistent with the
History table. So the cache looks good.

md.c should be cacheing the file descriptor so the second use of the
file should not be reopening it. I've not touched smgr/md so a missing
file error is a surprise.

I wonder if this is an error associated with large file handling and
file forks? Smells like an FSM or VM error.

Is the file actually missing? i.e. ls -l mydatadir/base/16384/16394*

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com