Re: Bad performance on simple query

From: Dimi Paun <dimi(at)lattica(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bad performance on simple query
Date: 2008-11-17 17:31:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 10:16 -0700, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Ahhh. Keep in mind that if you just run the query, pgadminIII will
> tell you how long it took to run AND return all the data across the
> network, so it will definitely take longer then. But most of that's
> network io wait so it's not a real issue unless you're saturating your
> network.

But that is brutal -- there's no way it can take 20ms for a request
across an unloaded network.

Moreover, I got something like this:

pgadminIII | pgsql
w/o index: 45ms 0.620ms
w/ index 20ms 0.091ms

How now I try to replicate, and I get 45ms in both cases. This is
very misleading...

--
Dimi Paun <dimi(at)lattica(dot)com>
Lattica, Inc.