Re: Enable pl/python to return records based on multiple OUT params

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enable pl/python to return records based on multiple OUT params
Date: 2008-11-04 06:52:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 06:13 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >> This version is quite rough, though passes tests here.
> >>
> >> I will clean it up more during commitfest.
>
> > probably still more things to do
>
> The status of this patch isn't clear --- are you still working on it?
> There certainly appear to be a lot of debug leftovers that need to
> be removed, error messages to clean up, etc.

It passes all existing regression tests and works fine for "correct"
use, but even the code currently in CVS crashes the backend for this

py=# create or replace function add_any(in i1 anyelement, in i2
anyelement, out t text) language plpythonu as $$
return i1 + i2
$$;
CREATE FUNCTION
py=# select * from add_any(1,2);
before or while processing the request.
!>

Though it is a somewhat separate problem from current patch I'd like to
do something about it before having it all committed, as the fix must
touch the very same places than this patch.

I think it takes two-tree days to figure out proper way to fix it.

I'd like it to just accept ANY* and do the right thing but I may end up
just rejecting ANY* on both IN and OUT args.

Hannu Krosing http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
Services, Consulting and Training