Re: VACUUMs and WAL

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUMs and WAL
Date: 2008-10-28 12:45:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 14:28 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Hannu Krosing wrote:

> >> 8.3 changed that; it used to work that way. I guess I never looked at
> >> the amount of WAL being generated.
> >
> > I can't see how it is safe to do anything more than just lookups on
> > first pass.
>
> What's done in the first pass is the same HOT pruning that is done
> opportunistically on other page accesses as well. IIRC it's required for
> correctness, though I can't remember what exactly the issue was.

Are you sure it is a correctness thing ? Maybe HOT pruning just happened
to be in a path used by vacuum to read pages.

> I don't think the extra WAL volume is a problem;

Probably not ( unless you need to ship your WAL records via a very
expensive network connection ).

If it is a simple performance problem, then it can probably be fixed by
just running VACUUM slower.

> VACUUM doesn't generate
> much WAL, anyway. As for the extra data page writes it causes; yeah,
> that might cause some I/O that could be avoided, but remember that the
> first pass often dirties buffers anyway to set hint bits.

Still, can't we special-case HOT pruning and hint-bit change WAL-logging
for first the pass of vacuum ? They both seem redundant in case of
VACUUM.

Hannu