Re: Max OID

From: Steve T <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Max OID
Date: 2008-10-16 19:04:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

All,
Does anyone have an answer to this?

I had thought that by creating a new instance (using initdb) and then
pg_restoring the dump there that it would reset the OIDs, but this
seems arbitrary.

If I have a set of large objects and I have a pointer on a table to that
object, what happens to that pointer when the database is dumped and
restored? Is there a way I can force the restored OID to be < 2Billion?

I had expected the OID's to remain static - ie I load an object and it
is given OID 1. I then put the value of that OID pointer on a table - so
that field also now shows 1. I then dump that database and restore it
elsewhere. I expected the OID and the field pointer to have the same
value in the restored database, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Steve Tucknott
ReTSol Ltd

DDI: 01323 488548