Re: PostgreSQL+Hibernate Performance

From: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
To: Kranti K K Parisa™ <kranti(dot)parisa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, nik9000(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL+Hibernate Performance
Date: 2008-08-20 15:24:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

The tradeoffs for multiple indexes are more or less as follows:

1. Having the right indexes makes queries faster, often dramatically so.

2. But more indexes makes inserts/updates slower, although generally not
dramatically slower.

3. Each index requires disk space. With several indexes, you can easily
have more of your disk taken up by indexes than with actual data.

I would be careful to only create the indexes you need, but it's
probably worse to have too few indexes than too many. Depends on your
app though.

-- Mark