Re: pg_dump Error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Najm Hashmi <najm(at)mondo-live(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump Error
Date: 2000-12-22 16:31:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

Najm Hashmi <najm(at)mondo-live(dot)com> writes:
> while trying to dump db shcema and content, I am getting the
> following error:
> [najm(at)localhost najm]$ pg_dump -D fliprdb > flipr.sql
> PQgetvalue: ERROR! tuple number 0 is out of range 0..-1
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Hmm, looks like you've managed to expose a bug in pg_dump. It looks
like pg_dump is getting an empty result to some query that it's not
prepared to handle an empty result for, but there's not enough info
here to tell what that query is.

I'd suggest restarting the postmaster with -d2 and making sure its
output is going into a logfile (don't use -S switch), then rerun
pg_dump. The last query shown in the postmaster log will be the one
that's causing a problem. That'll give us more info to go on.

I'm thinking that the problem is something along the lines of a table
with no owner (ie, no corresponding entry in pg_shadow), but can't
tell for sure yet.