Re: Does max size of varchar influence index size

From: Franck Routier <franck(dot)routier(at)axege(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does max size of varchar influence index size
Date: 2008-07-01 15:05:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

Le lundi 30 juin 2008 à 13:24 -0700, Mark Roberts a écrit :

Hi Mark,

> Is there any particular reason that you're not using a surrogate key?

Well, human readability is the main reason, no standard way to handle
sequences between databases vendors being the second... (and also
problems when copying data between different instances of the database).

So surrogate keys could be a way, and I am considering this, but I'd
rather avoid it :)

Franck