Re: Advice Wanted on Selecting Multi-row Data Requests in 10-Row Blocks

From: Ragnar <gnari(at)hive(dot)is>
To: Bill Thoen <bthoen(at)gisnet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advice Wanted on Selecting Multi-row Data Requests in 10-Row Blocks
Date: 2008-06-27 20:22:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

apart from the increasing OFFSET method, you only need to
traverse the results sequentially, you can do a variant of
this:

let us assume your resultset has a a unique column pk, and is ordered on
column o:

initial select:
select * from foo order by o limit 10;

select * from foo where (o,pk)>(o,?) order by o limit 10;
(where the ? is the last pk value in previous select)

this method will be able to make use of an index on (o,pk)

gnari