Re: Draft bylaws are now available

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgus-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Draft bylaws are now available
Date: 2008-06-10 19:12:24
Lists: pgus-general

> Good point. That brings up the other obvious problem which is that it's
> relatively easy for the directors to vote themselves in for life.
> However, I don't think that this is a realistic problem (who wants to be a
> volunteer unpaid director for life?) but I point it out in case someone
> else complains about it later.

Right and the other point... what good is the corporation without
members. If the board starts behaving in a manner that the members don't
like, the members are going to leave and the corporation is moot.

> Hmmm ... 5 months between election and seating seems rather long to me.
> That's longer than the US President! In those 5 months, some of the newly
> elected board members could drop out.

They could, but why would they? If they were going to, they likely
didn't have the heart, or constitution for the job anyway. Note this
however:

It looks like West will happen in the middle of October... so we
wouldn't announce results, likely until Nov 1. The annual meeting could
happen at the beginning of March which means it is actually 4 months.
Further November and December are notoriously unproductive months as
they are chocked full of holidays and end of year employment
responsibilities. Because of this, I actually think it makes sense to
let people clear their plate of items while they prep to take their
seat.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake