Re: Keep Alive PGAdmin 1.8

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Fil Matthews <fil(at)internetmediapro(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Keep Alive PGAdmin 1.8
Date: 2008-04-17 07:26:51
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:32 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Fil Matthews <fil(at)internetmediapro(dot)com> wrote:
> > Sirs
> >
> > Thank You firstly for your fine front-end administration tool to
> > Postgres.. As an ex ORACLE D.B.A. I appreciate what you have done.
> >
> > There is one point that I have not had the time or patience to find ..
> >
> > Perhaps my postgres servers are configured incorrectly but they have
> > a wonderful habit ( of which I highly approve) of chucking out
> > "idle" connections.
> >
> > Unfortunately my PGAdmin 1.8 connection is also seen as an "idle"
> > connection after some period of non use ..
>
> PostgreSQL doesn't do this

Yeh, it does:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

They're user settable, so pgadmin could offer that as an option. But you
can augment the pgadmin userid with a SET command to implement this
yourself as a user, see ALTER USER.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com