Re: [HACKERS] ANALYZE getting dead tuple count hopelessly wrong

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stuart Brooks <stuartb(at)cat(dot)co(dot)za>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ANALYZE getting dead tuple count hopelessly wrong
Date: 2008-04-01 08:04:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 13:07 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> Please see the attached patch. One change I made is to hold the SHARE lock
> on the page while ANALYZE is reading tuples from it. I thought it would
> be a right thing to do instead of repeatedly acquiring/releasing the lock.

ANALYZE is a secondary task and so we shouldn't be speeding it up at the
possible expense of other primary tasks. So I think holding locks for
longer than minimum is not good in this case and I see no reason to make
the change described.

We can speed up ANALYZE by using the background reader to preread the
blocks, assuming bgreader will happen one day.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com