Re: Sorting Tuples

From: Manolo <manolo(dot)espa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sorting Tuples
Date: 2008-03-13 13:40:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

> I can think of a couple of answers:
>
> 1) test your sorting routine on smaller data sets

How smaller? Remember that I have got a 1GB RAM... and even if I run it
on a smaller RAM machine... that would mean checking MBs of tuples
anyway... I don't think checking manually tuples one by one would be a
good choice in my case.

> 2) have an external program verify the sort result on larger sets

Do you have one?

> The bigger question is what you hope to accomplish. In other words,
> what about postgresql sorting doesn't work for you?

I suppose that the current postgresql sorting module works. As I said
I'm just creating a patch to get better (faster, more efficient) the
actual sorting module.

> Sean

Thank you Sean!