Babase, a PostgreSQL database and an example Foxpro conversion

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Babase, a PostgreSQL database and an example Foxpro conversion
Date: 2008-02-29 17:02:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

The Babase project has published the code for it's PostgreSQL
based baboon data management database online.

Babase may be of interest because it makes extensive use
of triggers for data validation and complex data generation;
we use many of PostgreSQL's features to push the limits
when it comes to building logic into the database itself.
Babase is also probably relatively unique in its use of the
m4 macro pre-processor to provide abstractions for use in
triggers and other PL/PgSQL code.

Babase may have use as an example of how science
is done. Although the collected data are not available to the
public, the field data collection protocols and much else
that is publicly available sheds light on the design and
execution of scientific research and, perhaps, the
management of a long-term scientific project.

Naturally we are not done, but we have decided to release our
code to the public with the understanding that Babase is a
work in progress. Comments and suggestions
are very welcome, but please be forewarned that
priorities are such that changes are unlikely to be
implemented anytime soon.

Complete information is available at:
https://papio.biology.duke.edu/

Babase is a product of the Amboseli Baboon Research Project,
http://www.princeton.edu/%7Ebaboon/, which has been
continuously monitoring a wild baboon population
since 1971.

Those who wish to convert data from Foxpro may be
interested in how we did it. Code can be found
at:
https://papio.biology.duke.edu/src/conversion/

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein