Re: Sun and SAP invest in Greenplum

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sun and SAP invest in Greenplum
Date: 2008-01-23 21:56:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 10:54 -0800, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> --- On Tue, 1/22/08, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:
>
> > http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/21/greenplum-takes-27-million-series-c/

> > commitment to PostgreSQL.
>
> In what ways does the investment in Greenplum translates into support for the PostgreSQL project?
>
> I only ask because I don't much about the relationship that GreenPlum has with the project.

Greenplum have sponsored me in the past, from which we got Partitioning
and some major Sort improvements, as well as research into faster
as well, mainly around the loading mechanisms. They've also provided
sponsorship for conferences and meetings, all very important.

For 8.4 we have some commitments to further development of partitioning,
plus hopes that bitmap indexes will be reworked for inclusion. With the
additional funding, I think we'll see those things happen.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com