AW: AW: AW: functions returning records

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Alex Pilosov'" <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: "'Reinoud van Leeuwen'" <reinoud(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: AW: AW: functions returning records
Date: 2001-06-27 11:03:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > In my setup the function would be hidden by a view.
> Its a different problem. Functions returning tables do just that, return
> tables, they won't care just what from that table you need. Exposing
> pieces of optimizer to your function doesn't seem to me like a great
> idea...

Ok, I think i need to go into a little more detail to explain.
My function needs to construct a table from the where condition.
If no where condition is present the result set would be near infinite
in size (all possible permutations of all possible field values
e.g. 2^32 for a table with one int column).

The function answers queries about rows that are not in the table,
but the result is based on rows that are in the table and computed
by a neural net.

Andreas