Re: Hibernate/JTA/PostgreSQL

From: joël Winteregg <joel(dot)winteregg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jimmy Wan <jwan(at)21technologies(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hibernate/JTA/PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-12-05 22:14:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello Jimmy,

It's funny because I just had the same problem using Hibernate,
Postgresql and BTM transaction manager during this week. I had many
"<IDLE in transaction> state" which were locking my DB tables... As you
can see (cf. pgsql-jdbc post below), the current Postgresql JDBC driver
(XA implementation) contain a bug regarding transaction boundaries:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2007-11/msg00051.php

So maybe these strange transaction boundaries were letting transactions
open (I also forgot to set a transaction timeout)...

If you think it could be this kind of problem (i'm not a JTA expert),
you can try this postgresql-jdbc patched version:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2007-11/msg00054.php

Or if as you said: "you don't really need to synchronize across multiple
datasources", you can try (if your transaction manager allow this) the
1PC optimization which allow the use of a pure JDBC driver (no
XAResource needs). For BTM transaction manager you will find
informations here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/BTM/LastResourceCommit

And you can find great explanation about 1PC optimization here:
http://jroller.com/pyrasun/category/XA

For me, this work around worked perfectly ! I hope its help !

Joël