Re: GUC variable renaming, redux

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: GUC variable renaming, redux
Date: 2007-09-24 12:56:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 12:51 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Montag, 24. September 2007 schrieb Simon Riggs:
> > I would personally prefer the verb "monitor" rather than track. The
> > chapter in the docs is already called "Monitoring Database Activity".
>
> What the database system does is tracking. Then you use an administrator or
> Nagios to monitor the results of the tracking.

www.nagios.org "Nagios® is an Open Source host, service and network
monitoring program". Not a single word about tracking anywhere.

PostgreSQL doesn't use the word "tracking" anywhere in the section on
stats. If it was natural to do so, we would have used that word already.
We "track dependencies" but thats it.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/monitor.html
"computer program: a computer program that observes and controls other
programs in a system"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/monitor
Computers.
c.
a group of systems used to measure
the performance of a computer
system.

"Track" doesn't have any similar meaning.

I'm sorry to raise this now. The earlier proposal for "track_" wasn't
supported by anyone that I can see, even though we decided to change the
way the stats parameters were arranged on those earlier threads.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com