Re: invalid data for encoding

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Mark Dilger <pgsql(at)markdilger(dot)com>
Subject: Re: invalid data for encoding
Date: 2007-08-24 22:43:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 17:04 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I have just noticed that we are still accepting data that is invalid for
> the server encoding, and in consequence we can produce a dump which we
> can't subsequently load. This is a major bug IMNSHO, and needs to be
> fixed for 8.3.

I agree.

Links to previous discussion:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-10/msg00246.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-11/msg00000.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-11/msg00033.php

I understand there are backwards compatibility issues that we should
consider, and we should consider them carefully. However, I don't think
that the current behavior is correct, for the same reason that I don't
think that "February 31st, 2007" should be allowed in a date column.

Regards,
Jeff Davis