Re: European mailing list

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgeu-general <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2007-07-30 15:42:59
Lists: pgeu-general

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 14:09 +0200, Jean-Christophe Arnu wrote:
> > The purpose of this message is twofold - first, to welcome those of you
> > that have already subscribed,
>

> Hi Dave, and European folks!,
> thanks you for your welcome! Be sure, you would get some
> participation from PostgreSQLFr. I suppose you've met Jean-Paul and
> Guillaume in Prato so you may have discussed some kind of subject
> about EuPUG (sorry for abbreviating it). For those who had not the
> chance to be there, can you point some URL or mail/text resource that
> may summarizing all discussed points during the Patro meeting (if
> existing) ? If not, does someone can make it on the mailing list?
> (that would be nice to you !) :)

The proposal for a European PostgreSQL User Group was discussed. The
main problem was that we did not have consensus about the purpose and
objectives of such a group. As a result, it was not possible at that
time to decide on any actions beyond setting up this mailing list.

Possible purposes:
1. General advocacy of PG in Europe
2. Promote PostgreSQL people in the market.
3. Serving as a PUG to cover countries which do not have a national PUG
4. Mutual support among European PUGs

Certain possible actions were discussed:
1. Creating a legal body to hold funds for a European PUG
- needs to be in the Euro zone, so not in Britain
- the French already have such a body; it could perhaps do
this job for an EuPUG
2. Setting up a certification programme to enable PG people to have
status on a par with developers/administrators certified for other
products.

--
Oliver Elphick olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

believed to be clean.