Re: Machine available for community use

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gavinmroy(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Machine available for community use
Date: 2007-07-25 16:58:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 08:50 -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> On 7/25/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > "Gavin M. Roy" <gavinmroy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > I'm currently in the process of having Gentoo linux reinstalled on the
> > > box since that is what I am most comfortable administering from a
> > > security perspective. If this will be a blocker for developers who
> > > would actually work on it, please let me know.

Gavin, I'd like access please. This sounds very cool. We'll be able to
show each other directly what's going on, even log on together to
inspect various aspects of runs.

Will you run a booking system?

Could you give us some details about myYearbook.com's application? I
feel we should prioritise work slightly so that the contributor can see
some benefit coming their way in the longer term.

> > Personally I'd prefer almost any of the other Linux distros.
> > Gentoo always leaves me wondering exactly what I'm running today,
> > and I think reproducibility is an important attribute for a benchmarking
> > machine.
>
> Tom, have any specific ideas in mind for using the system? While I'm
> used to having more disks it could be useful nonetheless for the tests
> I used to run if there are no other ideas.

Mark, If you're thinking TPC-E, so am I. Where are we with the TPC-E
toolkit you guys were working on?

Initially though, I'd like to do some tests on CVS HEAD with large
shared_buffers settings, so the 32GB RAM will come in handy for that and
no worries about disks.

> Rats, I've always liked Gentoo. ;)

I'd agree with Tom on that: we need a system that remains the same over
longer periods, not simply a very fast one. I'm OK with Fedora.

--
Simon Riggs