Capturing binary and other output destined for "make install"

From: Doug Knight <dknight(at)wsi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Capturing binary and other output destined for "make install"
Date: 2007-06-27 19:17:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is there a way within the existing installation mechanisms to capture
the files generated by an execution of "make", compiling from source,
that are copied to their locations during the "make install"? For
example, I had considered executing a "make -n install", capturing that
output, and turning it into a script. I'm not looking to make an RPM.
I've been tasked to automate our build/install process so that we build
once (including packages related to postgres like PostGIS, and some of
our own applications), and install from the result of the build onto a
number of internal servers.

Thanks,
Doug Knight