Re: Prepared statements, parameters and logging

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Postgres JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prepared statements, parameters and logging
Date: 2007-06-26 09:25:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver,

Now this was enlightening... now I finally understand the behavior I
see.

> If you set prepareThreshold=0 then an unnamed statement should always be
> used (& therefore actual parameter values should be taken into account
> when planning), with one exception: the setFetchSize() case I described
> in my earlier email.

The setFetchSize must be the cause I see the unnamed statements (I have
it automatically added to all of our select statements). For a query
with limit on it (the case of my problem-query), the fetch size is not
very useful, I'll get rid of it...

> If you set logLevel=2 on the driver, you should be able to see the
> differences in the protocol flow in more detail than the server logging
> lets you see.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that too next time... for the current
situation your explanation is more then enough.

Thanks,
Csaba.